2014年5月26日月曜日

My home town

I’m going to write about my home town. I was born and raised in Mifune town, Kumamoto which is surrounded by nature. The town has been famous for its dinosaurs. A few decades ago, the first fossil of a tooth of a dinosaur was excavated, and this started a series of large-scale excavations that went on one after another. After that, a number of dinosaur fossils were found in many places around the town. Due to the results of the excavation, a museum for displaying the fossils was opened, and recently, about a month ago, the big new museum opened to replace the old one, and it was widely reported by TV, newspaper, and some magazines. It is very close to my house, but I still haven’t visited there, so if I have time, I will go to the museum.

During the summer, I can see beautiful green forests and rice paddies from my house. There is also a river that is a short walk from my house. I used to play in the water with my friends at the river when I was in an elementary school student and when I got into junior high school, my parents bought me a bicycle, and my activity range expanded. As a result, I was able to go to my friend’s houses which were located in remote areas from the center of the town. Most of their houses were at the foot of the mountain, or in a forest. Every weekend without club activity, I usually went with my friends to their houses. At that time, there were some TV game, such as Nintendo 64 or Play Station 1, and also Pokemon” was really popular. Many classmates were involved in that TV game, but we were not only interested in them.

When we reached our friend’s house, first, we started to play survival games in the forest at the back of the house. There was an area of bamboo groves in the mountain, and we engaged in gun battles there covered with mud. After we finished the game, we went to a mountain stream near my friend’s house. That mountain stream was clear, transparent, and beautiful. We heard a joyful bird’s song, and also we were able to see rare fishes, for example, mountain trout and masu trout. We usually went fishing there in order to catch sweetfish. When we had tired of fishing, we often dove into the water, and caught fish or crabs by spearing them with a portable small harpoon.

After that, we broke up for the evening and brought some fishes back home respectively. I went on to a high school which was in Kumamoto city, I stopped going to my friend’s houses for my club activity and high school life. However, I kept in touch with my childhood friend who lives in the farthest area from the center of Mifune town. In the winter season, if the road which leads to my friend’s house had not frozen, I went there in order to see raccoon dogs and deer. The area where he lives is true countryside. There is no convenience store, and or even a supermarket, but there is only a mailbox near his home.

When I visited his home, I usually stayed the night at there. After the sun went down, we put dog food by the veranda-like porch, and around midnight, we were able to see the raccoon dogs through the window in dim light. Sometimes I saw a beautiful snowy landscape. Everything was covered with snow as far as the eye could see. At that time, we had a snowball fight, and built a lot of snowmen. And now, the town has been changing rapidly in the last couple of years. There were so many rice paddies surrounding my house. In summer season, in the daytime, when I went there, I can see a beautiful green rice field. And in the evening when the moon is up, I was also able to see the image of the moon filling a rice paddy with water, and also heard a chorus of peepers. In the early autumn, I was able to see the glowing ears of rice.

I love to see such sight and atmosphere, but due to construction work to widen the road in the town, more than a few rice fields have disappeared. Accordingly, there are so many drug stores, supermarkets and even a gas station were built on either side of the road. I understand that those stores or facilities are very useful for inhabitants, people can have access there easily, and buy daily necessities. In addition, for the town, they can get more tax revenue from those stores, and I sometimes use those stores to get sweets or groceries. However, to be honest, I love quiet beautiful rural views that used to be there.

[813/3091]

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿