2014年11月10日月曜日

BR:2-07 Lost in New York



“‘Be quiet !’ Jake said. ‘We'll take you back later.’”

Around 15-year-old English boy, Nicky, visited New York for the first time without his parents. Through the trip, he had some unexpected experiences including very bad thing. 

I don't like this book, actually, the boy. He came to New York to see his Aunt Carrie. She was supposed to wait him at JFK airport, but there she wasn't. Instead, her friend was there to pick him up. The friend got him on a taxi, and went to the center of New York.

On the way her place, Nicky had to got out of the taxi because of the friend of aunt's personal business. While he is waiting on a street, he found a bike gang then they came over to him interestingly. They demanded for him to ride in their sidecar. He refused to get it in, but they pushed him inside the car and went away in the end.

The bad boys dragged him round, and they made him steel some goods around the city. There were a lot of chances to escape from them as he was kidnapping. However, strangely, he didn't leave from them for fear of being lost, despite he's already lost. As a result, he was about to catch by the police.

In general, if people plan to go to foreign countries, they must be prepare for the trip, which means money, knowledge, and sort of wariness. Nevertheless, he had a minimum of budget and lack of security himself. I think he should start to visit to his own country.

By the way, the name of the title "Lost" reminds me of an experience when I went to Gold Coast, Australia. That was the next day I had arrived the country, my host mother showed me around the city near our home. During the short trip, I tried to remember all the location, and I felt sure I succeeded to memorize where I live. But reality doesn't work out well. As I went back to the home from a language school, I completely lost. The sun was going to set soon, and the temperature was getting lower and lower. I was about to start crying and screaming with alone. 

Finally, I got into a convenience store, and I said to a salesperson "I'm lost. Please help me." It was one of the most miserable moments I've ever experienced before.

Escott John. (2000). Lost in New York. Harlow : Pearson Education


[404/4843]


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿