2014年11月24日月曜日

Movie Review 4: Romeo and Juliet

 
Nearly two decades ago, when I was a kindergarten student, me and my classmates played "Romeo and Juliet" in front of our parents. Of course, I played Romeo and a girl, who I liked the best at that time, played Juliet. After the play, everybody gave us a long standing ovation with crying. It was sweet and just like dreamy memory....yes, it is a dream.

Actually, I played some grass. I had been hiding behind a cardboard grass during the play. A role of a grass? I still it doesn't much make sense about my role. Anyway, every time I see "Romeo and Juliet", which reminds me of that memory, and also I didn't exactly know the detail of the plot of the drama and the end of the story. I only knew Juliet's lines, "Oh, Romeo, Romeo, why do you have to be Romeo?" Most of students around me only knew those lines as well, so we often talked about it as a conversational topic. Which means, the words in Japanese, sound a little bit funny (or weird) for us who don't know the surrounding words of the lines, I mean the context. I
think it is a translation problem.

Anyhow, thanks to the movie review, it was given the opportunity to see the drama, I understood the meaning of "Oh, Romeo, Romeo, why do you have to be Romeo?" It is really tragic story. Because of the long-standing bloody battle between two prestigious families, young beautiful woman and handsome man must be destined to die. If Romeo wasn't a members of the opponent’s house, they would have spent a happy life. lines may be include that kind of meaning in it, I guess.

In addition, I have a question about making Juliet in a state of apparent death. A padre attempted to allow the couple to escape secretly, which was in vain eventually, but was it really necessary to camouflage her death? I thought the priest just let her go to the place where Romeo had stayed. I find it doubtful about that point, so if I have a free time I want to check why did he do that. What's more, I thought, this is William Shakespeare. While I was watching the movie, lots of interesting and fantastic expressions came from the characters’ mouths. I wonder
if it is difficult to understand the lines in English? Either way, I want to read or watch that masterpiece again.

[410/5764]

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿