2014年12月20日土曜日

BR:2-12 Martin Luther King

"“I have a dream,” he said."
I have never read a book, even children know, which written about this world famous person. Since I entered this university, I have heard his name many times every English classes. A professor said, “He is one of the greatest orators in American history”, and another said, “He is the greatest person who fought against the segregation for African American for a long time.”
I had known him when I was a junior high school student because he appears in English and History text books as the leader of the civil rights movement. There were lots of opportunities to learn about him more closely so far, but I haven't. Perhaps I had no particular reason to know about him or just bothered to find out what he has done. However, "at last", I started to know about him to read this introductory book.

In those times, in the early 20th century, African American people living in America were exposed to harsher racial criticism than today. However, how many times racists tried to intervene him and his companies, they resisted such pressures. He had a belief. Belief that it is possible to change the unfair world, even if someone who has a difference in skin color, they have a right to be treated exactly the same was as "usual" American citizen.

About 50 years have passed from his death, it seems that racial discrimination for African American people has decreasing, but a couple of months ago, the incident that an African American boy was killed by a white policeman triggered a riot all over the country. Despite Martin Luther King insisted that making anti-racism campaign without violence, it seemed some part of participants didn't follow his lecture. Will people be able to solve this problem? I have a strong hunch that it never disappear. 

Lloyd Jones Rob. (2006). Martin Luther King. London : Usborne.
[306/9659]

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿