2014年12月1日月曜日

BR:2-09 The Garden Party and Sixpence



"“Isn't life,” she hesitated, “isn't life-” But she couldn't explain what life was."

Standing in front of the book shelves, I was wondering whether I should choose this book or other one because I had known about the books' author. I learned that Katherine Mansfield is one of the most famous short story writers in the world, also is known as a writer using stream-of-consciousness technique. 

Stream of consciousness makes me depressed. In spring semester, I had to watch a DVD-version of "Mrs Dalloway" in order to write a essay of it. It was a bit difficult to grasp what the meaning of the movie. Because of it, I hesitated to read this book, but after I finished reading it, I realized  it didn't make me confusing than I expected. 

The main character, Laura, is a pristine and warm-hearted girl. One day, when she was preparing a garden party, she heard an accident which killed a man who lives in near her home. She felt sorry for the man and his family, she asked her mother not to hold the garden party. However her mother refused to the request, and eventually, the party ended up as a great success. 

After the party, her mother came up with a good idea. That is to send leftovers of the party, such as sandwiches, cakes, and puffs to the poor family. Laura nodded her idea with doubtfully, and she headed to their home. At that home, she met a weary-looking the man's wife, and a family member of him had her meet the body. When she met him, she regret that her extravagant appearance. She was wearing beautiful nice hat and dress. When she saw the man's peaceful sleeping face, she felt beauty and happiness from him.

It is difficult to understand what the meaning of the story, but I want to try to express what I thought. I think this story is criticizing people's thoughtless. In this story, her mother doesn't care the man's death, and Laura was enjoying and showed off her gorgeous dress and hat as well. However, in front of him, she found that she is as mindless person as her mother or family members. Taking advantage of genuine girl's movement of mind, the author may tried to depict having respect for the indignity of one's death. What's more, the writer wanted readers to think about how they are going to live. 

Mansfield Katherine. (2007). The Garden Party and Sixpence. Helbling Languages. 
[404/6604]

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿